Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Method 9

In college, before everyone had cell phones and could call long distance without paying, and long distance calls were expensive, and I was broke I used IM constantly I used it not only to keep in touch with friends all over the country, but also to friends who were in the next dorm over, or even just on another floor. I would sit for hours chatting with several people at once, instead of doing the homework that my computer and desk were "made for."
I don't IM as much as I used to, but I have to say I like the built in IM on Facebook. It makes it very easy to quickly reconnect to a friend who you may only "see" on Facebook. IM'ing is just as easy as typing right now. Though I don't use it very much anymore (simply because at the end of the day I just don't want to be in front of a computer any longer) it is a tool that can be utilized.
I think using IM in libraries is a great idea for the public and academic libraries. Working with school libraries, I don't see a huge benefit for them. Not because I don't love the idea of giving the students another way to reach the librarian, but because the working hours of the librarian limit its usefulness. Very few school librarians work past 5 PM. If they enabled an IM feature, then the students would most likely already be in school and could (hopefully) walk to the library. I see the best benefit of an IM feature in those evening homework sessions when a student needs a quick reference question answered, and I don't see his or her school librarian sitting at home with his or her family with a laptop open so he or she can chat with a student . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment